I just looking up Rick Santorum, but part of Google’s results came back with the definition of the word “santorum”. I’m not going to post it; I’ll let you find out for yourself.
This is an example of how branding and the English language can clash because of social media. Columnist Dan Savage gets credit for creating the unfortunate and unofficial definition of the word “santorum”. Savage asked his readers to submit new definitions for the term “Santorum”. The word became a successful Google bomb when Savage created a website for it, which unseated the Senator’s official website as the top search result for his surname on the Google web search engine. I’m not going to comment on the politics of Rick Santorum, that’s for you to decide. However, this is a prime example of what can go wrong with your name, company or brand in the internet age. I would call this the ultimate example of negative reviews. When trying to promote your brand, the last thing you want is for part of your brand name to come up with something “unfortunate” when perspective customers Google your name.
On that note, every so often, it is a good idea to do an internet search for your name or your brand. You may be surprised what your search engine finds. If you find something like this, the best thing you can do is address it immediately and directly as quickly as possible.
- RT @KCooperTNT: Lots of scanner traffic being tweeted, but @sethmnookin and @WesleyLowery are actual reporters, on the scene in Boston. 5 years ago
- I must be one of the six people in America that doesn't care about Oscar or his golden phallic award. 5 years ago
- Tonight, I hope to hear: My opponent is promising to be tough on Al Qaeda, Iran and China, but he's afraid to talk to Whoopy Goldberg. 5 years ago
- It's Monday so try not to slap someone who desperately deserves it. Save it for Tuesday. 5 years ago
- Don't you just hate it when someone takes your finely honed sarcasm as a compliment? 5 years ago
Past Post Postings
- Google+ and what it means to Social Media
- Lessons of Basil Marceaux 03 July 2011
- Picking your battles
- Political Social Media: 22 June 2011
- Congratulations Angelo’s Café: 16 June
- Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce luncheon: 16 Jun 2011
- One day closer to launch 8 Jun 2011
- Something you should remember: 2 Jun 2011
- Honoring their service: 30 May 2011
- Should you care about what people are saying?: 17 May 2011